- A relationship between the lyrics and the visuals, with the visuals illustrating, amplifying or contradicting the lyrics.
- A relationship between the music and the visuals, with the visuals illustrating, amplifying or contradicting the music.
- Genre-related style and iconography present.
- Multiple close-ups of the main artist or vocalist.
- Voyeurism often plays a major part, especially in relation to females.
- Intertextual references to other media texts may be present.
He says that music videos are often constructed by the link between the visuals and the song plus the artist. Relationships are built between these in the video, and the close-ups of the artists gives them the representation and publicity they require. Voyeurism is used to increase the video’s attractiveness, particularly to males, whilst intertextuality is often employed in humorous videos. (Taken from Blogger)
Goodwin says that music videos have one or more of these 3 aspects.
Example: Beyonce- Freakum Dress
Performance- This is when there are shots of the artist/band either playin there instuments or lip-syncing this could be either to the camera or to a crowd.
Example: Beyone -Single Ladies
Example: Depeche Mode- Enjoy the silence